What is a Breast Lift?
A breast lift, also called mastopexy, is surgery to change the shape and appearance of your breasts. During mastopexy, plastic surgeon can:
- Lift your breast higher on your chest.
- Make your breasts more symmetrical or identical to each other.
- Reduce the size of your areola (darkened area around the nipple) and make it face forward rather than downward.
- Remove extra skin that may have stretched over time.
- Reshape your breast to a more rounded appearance.
- Tighten your breast tissue to better support your nipples and areolas.
Why do people get Breast Lift surgery?
As we age, our breasts change. They may lose elasticity, causing your breasts to stretch, sag or droop. Causes include:
- Breastfeeding (chestfeeding).
- Genetics, or sagging breasts “run in the family.”
- Significant weight loss.
Mastopexy can make your breasts look firmer and more youthful. A breast lift can also correct perceived imperfections, such as:
- Areolas that face downward.
- Nipples that point in different directions.
- Uneven or asymmetrical breasts.